We are rejuvenating a derelict farm that was abandoned for twenty years. We are heading towards sustainability, self-sufficiency and off-grid living as we practice the principals of the Druid faith.
We are stewards of 16.5 acres in North West Roscommon, Ireland. The lands and buildings are being developed to permaculture designs and the 10,000 native woodland trees are the core of a Forest Garden.
We do not use chemical sprays and rely instead on manual weed suppressing. We are in a remote and peaceful location. The air is clean and sweet. We live in harmony with nature and seek to comprehend and co-operate with the land and all around us.
Volunteers should have a holistic understanding and connection to the land, sea and sky through sharing the Celtic Druid appreciation of Nature. Celtic Druid Temple is a registered charity that promotes awareness of the indigenous spiritual tradition of Pagan Ireland. We host Full Moon ceremonies and celebrate the 8 Solar Festivals.
We offer rites of passage services to our members such as Baby Naming, Hand Fasting and Passing Over Ceremonies. We require volunteers who like the outdoors and have some gardening experience, a good pair of boots and a willingness to work in nature.
Tasks & Roles
Off-Grid living Tasks will include:
- Maintenance of temple, herb garden, medieval fort, pathways, hedges and drains.
- Fencing repairs, unblocking drains, manual weed suppressing (i.e. stand and fold weeds), light bridge building.
- Washing up duties after meals are shared by all.
Gain Off-Grid living experience of:
- off grid electricity generation.
- Natural reed bed sewerage treatment systems.
- Forest gardening principals and techniques.
- Learn alternatives to chemical weed control.
Hours & Roster:
- Approx. 4/5 hours a day. We’ll work with the weather we get.
- Minimum stay is 3 days usually during the mid-week.
- Email message conversation before agreeing stay.
Free shared accommodation, sleeping four in one room with en-suite bathroom.
We eat organic locally produced food. We are a no sugar household. We can cater for special dietary requirements if told in advance. We ask for a 7 euros per day cost per volunteer to cover all meals.
Bus or Train to the town of Castlerea, then taxi [10 euros] to our venue. We cannot collect from bus/train station. More details available on agreement of stay.
- Up to 4 volunteers at a time.
- Singles and couples are welcome.
- Please note there is no Wi-Fi.
- Druid Philosophy: Opportunities to join in a ceremony if one is taking place during a volunteer period.
We recommend that when travelling that you always have your own travel insurance.
Check out our other volunteering opportunities in Europe.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Mexican Hostel Helping
- English Speakers to Help in our School in Mexico
- Learn Bee Keeping Canada
- Dominican Republic Hostel Volunteering
- Volunteer Canadian Rockies
- Haiti Orphanage Volunteering
- Canada Working Holiday (Guaranteed Resort JOB, VISA, Accom Assist.)
- Join our Fighting Poverty 10 month Program in Caribbean & Belize
- Eco Village Volunteering in Dominican Republic
- Volunteer Help with Education in Dominican Republic