The “Hacienda la Cruz” forest nursery is a family reforestation project located in La Cruz, Michoacán, Mexico. Here we are dedicated to the production, transportation, planting, and monitoring of different species of forest trees annually. We reforest areas damaged by unsustainable logging, change of use from forest to agricultural land, forest fires, pests, and natural disasters, among others. We accompany our work with ecological projects and education and awareness activities on environmental protection and integral ecology.
Would you like to help us save natural environment and explore Mexico?
Availability and requirements
We want to open the doors of the nursery to the world and thus increase the positive impact of the reforestation program in Mexico thanks to the support and collaboration of everyone. If you love spending time in the forest, you love nature and you’d like to contribute to protecting our Earth – it’s the project for you!
You will work for 20 hours a week from Monday to Friday. Saturday and Sunday are yours to rest or travel around!
We welcome volunteers throughout the year, their help depends on the work we do during that period.
Some examples of tasks performed in our nursery:
- General maintenance of the nursery (irrigation systems, fertilization, logistics …)
- Ecological project (upcycling, self-sufficiency, permaculture …)
- Art project (forest or nursery decoration, artistic upcycling …)
- Social networks and website (visual and written content …).
- Scientific study (on water, land, air, ecosystems, biodiversity …) to obtain interesting data on the environmental issue or the production of trees.
- Educational program for an integral ecology
Reforestation program in Mexico: What we offer?
Volunteers participating in the project will learn a lot about environmental protection, the tree production process, and the organization of reforestation. They will have the possibility to visit different reforestation sites and spend time in the forest.
There is the possibility of volunteering on an alternative project, a thesis problem, or a university internship depending on the volunteer’s abilities and particular aspirations.
We have 2 rooms, each one has a private bathroom, one with 2 single beds and a queen bed, and another with 1 king, 1 queen, and 2 single beds, everything is furnished. The water comes from the springs in the forest, it is drinking water and is heated with a gas boiler. The rooms are located between two gardens and are surrounded by a forest through which a small river passes, a few steps from the nursery.
We do not offer food, but if you like, we all shop together for basic food and divide the total price by the people who are going to eat, and we cook all together.
Volunteers have access to the nursery office as a work space with wifi and computer, or they can work on their computer with the Hacienda’s wifi.
More opportunities in Mexico:
- Mexican Hostel Helping
- Volunteer in Cancun, Mexico. Help in a hostel and explore Yucatan!
- English Speakers to Help in our School in Mexico
More opportunities in North America:
- Help this bed and breakfast while volunteering in Quebec, Canada
- Live and play on the famous Strip! Volunteer in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Help to renovate a house while volunteering in Puerto Rico.
- Camp and volunteer in Canada. Opportunity for outdoor lovers
- Volunteer with Caribbean communities | 10 month program
- Live and Work in a Remote Wilderness Environment in Canada
Posts by us
- Guide to volunteering in Mexico
- Volunteering in Off Grid Communities: What you need to know before you go
- Best Places to Volunteer in Australia and How to Get There
- Considering volunteering abroad? Here’s a guide to the visa process
- The Best Digital Nomad Accommodation in Saranda, Albania
- A beginners guide to volunteering in Spain in 2021
- Guide to exchanging work for accommodation and travelling for free