Be a Part of the Restoration of a French Chateau – Overview
We are a Franco-American couple who have embarked on an adventure(Restoration of a French Chateau) in the beautiful south of France next to the Pyrenees mountains and Spain.
Chateau de Siradan needs to be completely cleaned out, reworked, polished and presented as the beauty she formerly was ! We’re looking for people who want to be a part of this history. The chateau has been in the same family since the 1600’s. It sits on 2 hectares just 20 minutes from the Spanish border at the base of the Pyrenées Mountains. The project will be done in phases with the first phase being new electricity, plumbing and septic.
Help Required For Hostel Work Exchange
We’re looking for people who want to experience a different culture, learn some French 🙂 who are willing to get their hands dirty and help create a great environment for everyone.
Although we have hired a crew to do these jobs, there are oh so many other things that need to be done:
- Removing old wallpaper (while keeping a piece for each room to put in a frame !)
- Removing, sanding, painting all windows – we would really like to keep the charm of the original glass
- Various Painting
- Various tile repairs/replacement
- Completely gutting a section of the back of the ground floor
- Planting trees around the property as well as creating a garden
- Rewiring old lighting
- Gutting and clearing old stables/animal quarters
- Drywall/Plaster Repair
- Installing lighting
- Installing toilets, sinks
Hours & Roster
- 35 hours/week.
- Minimum stay length 7 days+.
We will not work all day every day – we will take time to enjoy our surroundings as well ! We will decide as a group when and how often we want to work based on projects.
Sleeping & Eating
You will be provided a bed (may be a mattress on the floor until we find beds for all the rooms) !
You will stay on-site (the chateau has 18 bedrooms) in a shared bedroom (possibly) and shared toilet/bathroom. Your host, Nikki, is a Ducasse-trained chef and will work with Jean (a wonderful cook in his own right) to prepare lovely meals each day. We will take time to enjoy our food, explore the area and taste local food and wine.
You will fly into either Toulouse, Pau or Lourdes and we will pick you up from the airport and bring you to the chateau.
Volunteering Travel Insurance
We always recommend that you have adequate travel insurance in place before you travel overseas.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Vegan Café Volunteer Georgia
- Filmmakers Without Borders
- Experience Azerbaijan Volunteering
- Ski Resort Volunteering Japan
- Volunteer Teach Vietnam (Leads to Paid Positions)
- Be a Hotel Volunteer in Malaysia
- India Calling Volunteers (help with kids & women projects)
- Sri Lankan Farm Stay
- Nepalese Cultural Exchange
- Sri Lanka Teaching Placement