Need a Nepalese Cultural Exchange? Be a volunteer guest with us in Nepal. You’ll learn about farming, gardening, local culture, and daily rural life. You’ll help at the local school teaching English or other activities. We’re also looking for someone who can take photographs and/or build a simple website for us.
Hours & Roster: 20 hours a week, 2 days free
What’s the cost? We ask for Euro €5 per day to cover your meals and accommodation
What’s Not Included? Flights, visa & volunteer travel insurance
Selection process: Message me about yourself, why you’d like to come & the dates you’re planning to travel to Nepal
Nepalese Cultural Exchange – Help Required
Namaste everybody! My family and I welcome you to our home in the village of Changu Narayan. Changu is located about 20 km from Kathmandu and where I have grown up and spent my life with my wife Menuka. We have three children who are all currently studying in university, as well as our granddaughter who lives with us.
Most tasks are domestically related such as helping maintain the guesthouse, tending to the garden, or being in charge of administrative duties, but there is the possibility to contribute with work around the village; you may also help at the local school teaching English, provided you commit to at least a two-month tenure. We’re also looking for someone who can help with marketing.
We are currently working on building an earthquake-resistant extension to our home, including a music room where we will be able to share our cultures through music. In the near future, we will be building a second house for volunteers. We are also looking to establish a proper recycling program for Changu Narayan.
During July and August there is work in the garden and the rice fields.
Hours & Roster
- If you come, you will help 3 to 4 hours per day with 2 days off per week.
Sleeping, eating & other information
We ask for Euro €5 per day for your three meals and accommodation. We have WI-FI in the house and rooms. This is a rural Nepal house, so we have electricity cuts and our hot water doesn’t always work, but my wife is happy to heat up water for you to shower with. We can host 7 people. I have 2 rooms on the first floor and 1 bamboo room on the roof. We live on the ground floor, so our guests have a lot of privacy.
We are close to Bhaktapur, which is about 30 minutes away by bus, and about two hours outside of Kathmandu.
This video will give you a sense of what life at our home is like:
Linen & Laundry: We provide all bedding or if you prefer, you can bring your own. Laundry facilities are available.
Eating: 3 meals a day included as outlined above.
Transport: We live in the beautiful village of Changu Narayan which is a tranquil rural village 6km’s from Bhaktapur and 12km’s from Kathmandu. You can catch buses here every hour from Kathmandu or Bhaktapur. (We are one hour from Kathmandu and 30 mins from Bhaktipur). Also, I can pick you up from airport or Kathmandu city if you need.
Nepalese Cultural Exchange – Amenities & Preferences
- We accept families, couples, two friends, males & females.
- All ages welcome.
- Our place: There are no cars in Changu Narayan, so you will be surrounded by authentic rural Nepalese life. From your balcony, you have views of the valley and the houses and farms around us. The only noises you hear will be from ducks and goats. We’re located at the top of a hill and have a UNESCO heritage temple and lovely streets. We have great views over the Kathmandu Valley.
- Local trips: On days off, I usually take volunteers to local areas. Near my place, it’s possible to do some beautiful hikes. I can show you the best places to visit, such as Bhaktapur, Nagarkot, the Nanno Bouddha Monastery, and Boddha.
- Art lessons: In the village, some talented artists can teach you how to draw Thanks (Mandala). This costs around 70 USD per month.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Go to Vietnam, teach English and live in Ha Giang.
- Volunteer with an eco project in India
- Volunteer in East Timor. Teach Portuguese, Korean, or Vocational Skills
- Learn farming using organic and natural methods in Japan.
- Belgrade Hostel Volunteering in Serbia
- Volunteer Work Hostel Spain on the Beach
- Hostel Volunteer Work in France
- Communal Living France
- Join our Hostel in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina as a Volunteer
- Farm Hand and Hostel Work Stay in Ireland