Fancy being a Farm Hand and Hostel Work Stay in Ireland? I need someone with a good grasp of English, an understanding or background in farming and a willingness to help with all the tasks and daily chores associated with running the farm.
I run a 30-hectare beef and sheep farm situated within a short distance of the highest overhanging sea cliff in Europe, on the west coast of beautiful Ireland. You’ll need to be hardworking and prepared to work in tough weather conditions.
Stay duration: Preferably 4 weeks +
Places available: 1 volunteer
Hours & Roster: 30 hours a week
What’s included? Room within the house/hostel & all meals included
What’s Not Included? Flights, internal transport, travel insurance, and pocket money
Selection process: Message chat & chat via Skype before agreeing on stay
Farm Hand and Hostel Work Stay in Ireland – Help Required
- Feeding the animals.
- Repairing fences and buildings.
- Organising sheep for lambing season.
- Drainage, cutting brambles, clearing waterways, and repairing ditches.
- Turf footing and bagging.
Hours & Roster
- 5 hours a day with 1 day off.
- Stay length 1-month minimum, 2 months maximum. The first week is a trial period.
- Email and interview chat via Skype before agreeing on stay.
Sleeping: You will stay in a designated staff room within the house/hostel. The room includes a bunk bed that sleeps two. There is a shared bathroom. As I live in the same house/hostel, we will share the kitchen, lounge, and dining area. You will have full access to the house/hostel and are free to come and go as you choose.
Linen & Laundry: All linen and towels are supplied. I have a washing machine which you are free to use for your laundry.
Eating: All food and meals are included. I am a former trained chef so I usually cook or if you prefer you can prepare your meals yourself. Please note if you have any special dietary requirements, you will need to make your arrangements.
Transport: Bus from Dublin to Donegal town, approximately 4.5 hours travel time. You can hitchhike or get a local bus to the farm, approximately 40 minutes. I can provide more details on best ways of getting here.
Farm Hand and Hostel Work Stay in Ireland – Amenities & Preferences
- Accommodate up to 1 helper at any one time.
- You must be over 18.
- Male and female helpers accepted.
- Single travelers.
- Smoking is allowed only outside.
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Pets accommodated.
- Parking available.
- No facilities to accept families as helpers.
- Lounge and TV room.
- Language skills: I speak English, and this is a great opportunity to improve your English language skills. As I am located near a designated ‘A Ghaeltacht’ area, there is an opportunity to practice your Irish language skills in the local community.
- Hospitality skills: You will gain first-hand experience in the workings and running of 30-hectare beef and sheep farm.
- Bicycling: I have a spare bicycle which you are free to use to get about and explore the wider area.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Volunteer in Sicily & learn about wood work and taking care of animals.
- India Teaching Placement in Beautiful Kerala
- Volunteer Eco Project India
- Teach English Tibetan Community
- Gap Year Volunteer India
- Enjoy a Hostel Work Exchange in Tel-Aviv, Israel
- Hostel Palestine Volunteering
- Conservation Volunteering in New Zealand
- Experienced Volunteer Builder or Carpenter Needed in Tonga
- Youth Volunteer Assistant on Solomon Islands