We need passionate volunteers who can contribute and help us in our youth educational work on the Solomon Islands. Just let us know the skills you have and we will match them.
Youth Volunteer Assistant in the Solomon Islands – Quick Checks
Hours & Roster: 30 – 40 hours per week, weekends free
What’s included? We provide free accommodation
What’s Not Included? Flights, visa, food & volunteer travel insurance
Selection process: Message us about your relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer with us & the dates you would be available
Solomon Islands – Help Required
Tell us what you can do, or where you can contribute best. Our current activities are based around running the following six, three-year courses.
- Automotive Technology.
- Life Skill Training (Tourism, Hospitality, Clothing & Textiles).
- Carpentry Technology.
- Computer Technology.
- Electrical Technology.
- Machine Fitting and Maintenance (MFM) Training.
Can you help with some of the following activities? We need basic support in all areas of the school including:
- Website design or information editing.
- English teaching or any sports, social work, peacebuilding, cooking, fashion design, theatre, music, IT, photography, filming, management, human rights or any other skill you can offer.
- Your role depends on your education: Assisting us, running your course, developing a workshop after school, joining the students during sports activities, setting up a new Curriculum, teaching English, or helping with homework or cooking.
Hours & Roster
- Volunteers work Monday – Tuesday from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. A laptop and formal dress are needed.
Sleeping: You will be living in a very secure surrounding (guarded), in our staff house right on the school compound and only 500 meters away from the sea. The staff house is well equipped (kitchen, hot shower, fan, tables, bed, etc.) and you will be living with our local team. The school is just 20 kilometers outside of the town and right next to a market that provides you with all you need. The Market and a bus stop are just a 2 min walk away.
Linen & Laundry: Please bring your linen, towels, and sleeping bag. Laundry facilities will be available.
Eating: Free meals are not possible as our funding is limited. Food stalls are just a short walk away. A market is close by. During the school breaks there’s a small shop where local people sell rice and lunch snacks. In the evening you can cook your meal in your well-equipped room. You only have to cover the electricity bill yourself.
Transport: Solomon Airlines fly from Sydney and Brisbane. Virgin Australia flies in from Brisbane. Other connections are via Fiji, Papua New Guinea, and Vanuatu. Once you arrive at the airport, we will pick you up. It is only a two minutes ride to our school and your new home. Australian return flights from 400 Australian Dollars, Europe return flights from 1100 Euro & Asia return flights from 480 Euros.
Solomon Islands – Amenities & Preferences
- 8 positions available.
- Age preference 18+. We’d love to hear from older volunteers also.
- Additional Benefits: You will learn about cultural diversity, the history of the Solomon Islands, the local language and a lot about the Salesian order and hospitality.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Conservation Volunteering in New Zealand
- Help with Clearing, Planting & Building in Australia
- Volunteer on a farm with over 300 animals in care in NSW, Australia
- Experienced Volunteer Builder or Carpenter Needed in Tonga
- Join our Hostel in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina as a Volunteer
- Farm Hand and Hostel Work Stay in Ireland
- Visit France – Be a Part of the Restoration of a French Chateau
- Learn Cider Making in England
- Handyman & House Maintenance in Belgium
- English Tutoring in Hungary