Fancy Zimbabwe Volunteering Community Projects? Work with the the less privileged families in local communities of Sakubva and Chikanga.
Zimbabwe Volunteering Community Projects – About the Program
You will be in contact with 46 children from the less privileged homes in Sakubva and Chikanga communities in Mutare. Other days you will visit the less privileged children and share their life experiences with their guardians.
As a participant on this project you will be working with children that may have been abandoned and abused. It will be your role as a volunteer to support the staff by engaging the children in many different activities. Volunteers are encouraged to gear their activities towards helping the children with homework and any other fun and useful activities.
Specifically volunteers will do the following activities:
1-Raising awareness of social issues with local communities
2-Assess the conditions and needs of the children and people you will be working with
3-Provide counseling session therapy methods with local staff to improve current practices
4-Provide career development session with youth girls and boys
5-Assist in cooking and doing laundry for the less privileged children
6-Providing abused children with the care and attention they need
7- Assist with general tasks such feeding programs within the families
Help in community project,working alongside locals and helping counselling and homework for less privileged children in Sakubva and Chikanga Townships in Mutare.The programs allows volunteers to visit the homes of the less privileged children and have an understanding of their life challenges the face daily and provide guidance and support to the children and their guardians on handling life situations.
Zimbabwe Volunteering Community Projects – Typical day
08.00-10.00am Assisting with general tasks such feeding and playing educational games
11.00-12.00pm Project Site Visitation and Assessing the conditions and needs of the children
12.00-13.00pm Assisting cooking and doing laundry for the less privileged children
13.00-14.00pm Serving Lunch and sharing stories with families
14.00-15.00pm Sharing of counseling and therapy methods with local staff to improve current practices
15.00-16.00pm Providing career development session with youth girls and boys
16.00-17.00pm Raising awareness of social issues in local communities
Zimbabwe Volunteering Community Projects – Stay Overview
What’s Not Included? Flights, visa, pocket money, internal transportation, travel insurance, safaris
Selection process: Message us about your relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer with us & the dates you would be available
Tasks & Roles
We will provide you with personal development and an in-depth experience of another country. You are advised to come prepared, show initiative, and be self-motivated. You will be helping in the following two areas:
- Sleeping: Volunteers usually stay with the host family. Andrew is part of the host family and is experienced with international volunteers. You will get a single room or share a room with another volunteer.
- Linen & Laundry: Please bring linen and towels. Laundry facilities available.
- Eating: All meals will be covered. Most of our meals are vegetarian, including banana, potatoes, rice, and beans. On occasion, we may provide traditional dishes.
- Transport: Volunteers can be met (USD $50/each way) in Harare International Airport in Zimbabwe by Andrew. Candle Light Preschool is located at 258 Devonshire, Sakubva, Mutare which is located about 300km away from Harare International Airport and it takes about 4 hours travel by road.
- Visa Process: The volunteers are expected to organize their own visas and are fully responsible for attaining the correct visa. Correct visa information can be found online. Most nationalities can get a visa on arrival at Harare International Airport and we recommend a Holiday Visa for a stay of up to 90 days. We encourage volunteer to visit safaris and tourist places during their weekends as part of their stay as a volunteer in Zimbabwe.
- Work Permits: Those volunteers who want to stay for a longer period should apply for a work permit before arrival in Zimbabwe.
- We can accommodate up to 6 volunteers at any one time.
- Male and female helpers accepted.
- 18 + age preference. Single travellers, two friends, couples are welcomed and accommodated.
- Safari Bookings: Volunteers who want to go on safari during their stay in Zimbabwe will receive a decent discount through our affiliation partner.
- Program fee breakdown is as follows: USD $10/day covers accommodation and food. USD $5 covers in country supervision and administration & USD $5 covers the Preschool Child Care Support Program.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Volunteer East Timor (No fees, free room & board)
- Vegan Café Volunteer Georgia
- Filmmakers Without Borders
- Experience Azerbaijan Volunteering
- Ski Resort Volunteering Japan
- Volunteer Teach in Vietnam (Leads to Paid Positions)
- Be a Hotel Volunteer in Malaysia
- India Calling Volunteers (help with kids & women projects)
- Sri Lankan Farm Stay
- Nepalese Cultural Exchange