We organize holidays for mixed groups of disabled and able-bodied people, with the help of willing volunteers. As a volunteer care assistant in France, you will care for people with disabilities, share your friendship and have lots of fun.
Our non-profit organization provides holidays for mixed groups of disabled and able-bodied people, in the heart of the beautiful and tranquil French countryside.
Whether you are a student, of working age, or retired – we need volunteers. (We even accept 17-year-olds, exceptionally 16-year-olds, if they are hyper-motivated). Volunteers need a reasonable knowledge of the French language.
Tasks & Roles
We have a specially adapted gîte that accommodates up to 25 people, giving them the chance to enjoy the delights of the countryside, all in a safe and specially adapted environment. We have offered these very special holidays since 1977.
As a volunteer, you will need a reasonable level of the French language. It is a good opportunity to improve your French language skills. We are looking for volunteers to help give people with disabilities a truly special holiday.
Your tasks will include:
- Helping people with disabilities to do what they cannot do themselves – washing, dressing, and eating meals.
- Helping with cooking – usually the kitchen is a forbidden place for people with disabilities. With help from our volunteers, they are given the chance to take part, should they so wish.
- Chaperoning and sharing leisure – going for walks, outings, having picnics, and visiting places of interest.
- Listening and talking – developing friendship between the able-bodied and the person with the disability. There is a lot of time to talk and get to know each other.
Volunteers are expected to be hand-on and available that all times during their stay.
Care assistant in France – living
You will sleep in our specially designed-house for people with disabilities. It is clean, modern, and comfortable. You may share a room with others. There are shared bathrooms. All meals will be included.
Please let us know in advance of any special dietary requirements.
Volunteers will fund and make their travel arrangements. Our house is located in the small village of Sainte-Feyre which is 7 km from Guéret, in the Limousin region. The nearest airports include Guéret, Lyon, and Paris.
Care assistant in France – what else
- Places for up to 10 volunteers (changeable).
- Male and female helpers accepted.
- Own travel insurance is recommended.
- Single travellers, two friends, couples are welcomed and accommodated.
- Volunteers need reasonable knowledge of the French language.
- It may be a good opportunity to improve your French language skills.
Do you need a Visa to travel? Get the correct Visa online now >>
Volunteering exchanges in France
- Hotel & Restaurant adventure in the Dordogne (France)
- Help us Build a Retreat Centre (South of France)
- Small Holding Help Needed (France)
- Experience a Vegan Compassionate Sustainable Lifestyle (France)
- Guesthouse helping with Rooms & Preparing Breakfast (France)
- Fancy a Working Holiday in the Alps? (France)
- Strong Hands Required for Building Renovation (France)
- Help with the Restoration of a Castle (South of France)
- Certified Permaculture Course for Volunteers & Students (France)
SafetyWing is the world’s first insurance made for nomads, by nomads. Get global travel medical for $37 per a month. Get Insured >>
More volunteering opportunities
- Volunteer in London. Live with locals while helping to renovate their house.
- Help us finish renovating our farmhouse in Northern Spain
- Belgrade Hostel Volunteering in Serbia
- Volunteer Work Hostel Spain on the Beach
- Join our Hostel in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina as a Volunteer
- Farm Hand and Hostel Work Stay in Ireland
- Visit France – Be a Part of the Restoration of a French Chateau
- Learn Cider Making in England
If you’re going overseas, always ensure you get the right insurance cover to Live Abroad.
Posts by us
- Guide to volunteering in France
- How to choose the best volunteering abroad option for you
- A volunteers guide to volunteering in Laos
- A complete guide to volunteering as a yoga instructor
- Six amazing hostels to stay for free in Europe – if you volunteer
- What to know before your hostel work stay
- What 6 years of bootstrapping a startup has taught me
- Here’s why the people you meet abroad will be your friends for life
- Scared of volunteering abroad? Here’s how to face your fears
Join our Volunteering Abroad Community on Facebook. It’s a group to ask questions, share your experiences, and meet other volunteers. See you there >>