If you want to experience what life is like for a ‘typical’ London family living in the suburbs, improve your english and practice DIY – this opportunity is for you 🙂
Volunteer in London – requirements & tasks
I live at home with my friendly family! Mum & Dad (retired), sister (primary school teacher) and her daughter. Come and join us in the artistic hub of Walthamstow (Zone 3).
I welcome volunteers who are interested in a genuine exchange of culture, language, and skills. We love to host independent and creative people, balancing a curiosity to learn new skills with the freedom to think for themselves.
You’d have a home whilst sharing my philosophy of exploring life and work as an ongoing meditation practice. In exchange, 40+ guests have shared their cultures, skills, cuisines, and lifestyles with us.
We need two types of help for about 30 hours a week. But more important is the vibe and fit within our Pakistani Muslim culture family, giving you’d be living in our family home. It’s important to us that you enjoy your stay.
The first would be helping me renovate my house – which is 2 years into a full renovation! Enthusiasm, DIY experience, tools and an initiative to learn are qualities we look for. More specifically, help is required with fitting plasterboards, installing skirting boards, sanding, painting, fitting lights, laying carpets, etc.
The second would be general help around the house for my parents, they’re around 80 yrs old, so need help with cleaning, general maintenance and have the time to help you practice your English!
There are always a lot of varied and interesting projects to help with here, and for those willing to put in some effort with good spirit and humour there’s plenty of knowledge and friendships to take away with you. My hope is that you’ll leave learning about a culture / lifestyle you didn’t know about before, improved English and maybe even a little Urdu!
Days are flexible, but I’m usually not working on the weekends so have more time to spend with you.
Volunteer in London – what we offer
We offer a spare room in Walthamstow (one of the suburbs of London) with a bed, in my family house with a shared bathroom.
It takes 15 mins to get to the tube, and 45 mins from there to Oxford Circus, although with Covid and my at risk parents we’d prefer if you don’t use public transport and use the bike which takes an hour to Oxford Circus.
Please come under the assumption that you’ll make your dinner, as we only sometimes eat together due to my work schedule.
Walthamstow, voted London’s borough of culture for 2019, is a multicultural and artistic area where you can find a range of delicious food options, from Thai and Indian to ‘right proper’ east London pubs and cafes. I think it was voted no 17 in top neighbourhoods in the WORLD in TimeOut recently, but who believes these lists anyway 😀
While you will have plenty of privacy and free time, there is always a good bit of banter between me, my friends, and sometimes other guests from around the world. If you’re an open-minded and curious person looking to experience and share new things, I invite you to contact us!
Other volunteering opportunities in Europe
- Volunteer for free in Italy and help with outdoor tasks.
- Create an off-grid homestead while volunteering in southeast England
- Volunteer in France and coordinate activities for kids on language learning holidays.
- Experience farming life while volunteering in Ireland on the Wild Atlantic Way.
- Teach English in Spain and immerse yourself in the culture.
- Help renovate a 19th century property while volunteering in the Loire Valley in France
- Volunteer as an English mentor in Poland & enjoy skiing.
Posts by us
- Guide to volunteering in the United Kingdom
- Guide to taking a sabbatical abroad
- How HelpStay reviews work for hosts and volunteer helpers
- Guide to volunteering in France
- 2023 Guide to seeing the world for next to nothing as an English teacher
- 7 steps to finding your calling
- Guide to volunteering – caring for animals