Starting in February and November in 2022. We will be running a 6 months Caribbean Climate Activism Course with 10-12 students in February and November. The February and November team will do a special project in the area of “getting ready for climate change” by taking action to protect against storm surges and sea level rise.
The project has great potential to teach about the importance of man and nature protecting our valuable biodiversity to the Vincentian Public by the involvement of several groups and individuals. The project is connected to 12 other Caribbean NGO’s which are also restoring mangroves across the Caribbean from Trinidad and Tobago to The Bahamas and Jamaica.
There will be special focus on marine conservation and the team will have be a mix of Vincentian students and Internationals. Besides the focus on the climate studies, everyone will get an Open Water Certificate and a number of dives to do mapping, research on corals and other marine life – as a foundation for new teams coming after.
Total cost is USD $4800.00 made up of a cost of USD $500 + $4300 and includes:
– Enrollment fee + Tuition fee
– Food and Accommodation for 6 Months
– All transport costs to projects during the 6 months
– An Open Water Dive Certificate.
– Basic materials needed to execute the program’s activities
– Research and Action
For more information, please see our videos on our Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC11Q4oA2N0YMVskaLNJGXSQ
Caribbean Climate Activism Course – What else
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines has been devastated by severe weather disasters year after year over the past 10 years.
This program aims to bring people together to take action. Since 2012, more than 300 national and international student and teachers together with thousands of people across St. Vincent and the Grenadines have answered to the threat of climate disaster.
– 30,000 trees have been planted.
– 30 tons of garbage has been collected from beaches, rivers and villages.
– 50 Organic Home gardens have been built with families in North Leeward.
– Six Bio gas digesters have been installed at farmers, schools and families.
– Numerous information leaflets, books, booklets, radio and TV programmes have been aired in St. Vincent and abroad, mobilising people to take local actions.
– More than 1000 people visit the Academy annually to learn about and get inspired to what actions can be taken for a sustainable future.
Throughout the programme, there are three anchor themes from where to choose all the climate compliance actions and research activities:
– Food and water Security
– Energy Security
– Ready for Climate Change
More volunteering opportunities in North America
- Volunteer in Cancun, Mexico. Help in a hostel and explore Yucatan!
- Volunteer in North Carolina, USA on a sustainable farm
- Volunteer with a reforestation program in Mexico and help restore our nature.
- Live and play on the famous Strip! Volunteer in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- An opportunity for outdoor lovers: Camp and volunteer in British Columbia, Canada