Join us as a full time volunteer in Dublin, Ireland and work with the homeless in the heart of Dublin City. Message us if interested!
Volunteer in Dublin with Simon Community
Dublin Simon Community offers an extensive full-time volunteering program, providing excellent opportunities for an insightful experience.
Currently, the Dublin Simon Community has up to 60 full-time volunteer placements throughout our Housing, Emergency, Treatment, and Support Services.
The approach to full-time volunteering has an emphasis on reflective practice and both formal and non-formal learning.
Dublin Simon Community was founded by a group of Trinity and UCD students in 1969. It began by providing much-needed soup and sandwiches to people who were sleeping rough in Dublin’s city center. In addition to the Soup Run, which still goes out 365 nights of the year, Dublin Simon Community provides many services. Services which aim to help those who are sleeping rough on the streets, people who are in their accommodation but at risk of homelessness and those who are at any of the stages in between.
Dublin Simon provides the following to full-time volunteers:
- In-depth induction
- On-site and off-site training
- DIT accredited Certificate in Volunteering
- Support and supervision
- Guidance and mentoring
We also provide:
- Accommodation (where required)
- Weekly allowance
- Mentoring and Career Development support
- Staff and volunteers engagement activities
If you wish to apply for a full-time volunteer position with us, please reach out to us here.
Volunteer in Dublin – Tasks & Roles
All applicants must be 18+
Ideally, we are looking for people with qualifications in the field of social care or a field related to the specified placement. Previous volunteering and/or relevant employment experience is an advantage. However, this list is not exclusive as we are always interested in meeting people with skills that would be transferable, relevant, and beneficial to the Dublin Simon Community and this sector.
Minimal duration of a full-time volunteer placement – 6 months.
We provide free accommodation if required. You will be located in one of our volunteer houses, where you will have a single room or a bed in a double room. All accommodations are furnished and have all the necessary items (i.e. cutlery, stove, oven, fridge, washing machine, etc). Items like bedding, pillows, duvets, and towels are not provided, however, we refund their cost upon presenting the correspondent receipt. In addition, all full-time volunteers receive a weekly allowance which covers food and transportation costs.
Full-time volunteers are expected to arrive at their accommodation independently. There will be someone to meet you in the volunteer house, either another volunteer or a member of staff.
The nature of work may vary throughout the services. Depending on your qualifications and personal preferences, you might be placed in a Treatment service or an office. Consequently, the work schedule varies as well. Some services have a shift-based schedule, whereas others are Monday to Friday.
We recommend that when travelling that you have your own travel insurance cover in place.
Easy Exchanges in Ireland
- Join our Hostel Team as a Volunteer (Ireland)
- Volunteer in our Backpacker Hostel in Belfast (Northern Ireland)
- Gardening & Helping with B&B Chores (Ireland)
- Work Experience Placement Wild Atlantic Way (Ireland)
- Hostel Exchange & Coffee Shop Helping (Ireland)
- Join our Hostel Team on a work exchange (Northern Ireland)
- Be an Awesome Volunteer Helper on our Farm (Ireland)
- Hotel Work for Accommodation Exchange (Northern Ireland)
- Reception & House Keeping Duties (Northern Ireland)
If you’re going overseas, always ensure you get the right insurance cover to Live Abroad.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Be a Helping Hand at Summer House Poland
- Belgrade Hostel Volunteering in Serbia
- Volunteer Work Hostel Spain on the Beach
- Hostel Volunteer Work in France
- Communal Living France
- Join our Hotel Work Exchange as a Volunteer in Netherlands
- Experience Lapland helping in a French run Tourist Business in Sweden
- Volunteer on a Organic Farm in Portugal
SafetyWing is the world’s first insurance made for nomads, by nomads. Get global travel medical for $37 per a month. Get Insured >>
Posts by us
- Guide to volunteering in the United Kingdom
- What I’ve learned from 10 years of Help Exchange Volunteering
- My experience of Volunteering in Spain with a Spanish family
- Everything you need to know about Volunteering in Kenya from someone who’s been there and done that!
- Your Complete Guide to Living and Teaching English in France
- How volunteering abroad can make you a more responsible traveler
- How to escape the rat-race and become a Digital Nomad
- When the downturn came I took a sabbatical in Berlin
- 9 Paid Jobs for Backpackers and their HelpStay alternatives
- Your Complete Guide To Exchanging Work For Accommodation