Volunteer in Portugal at a start-up regenerative farm in South West Alentejo. We live in nature about 15 km from the beach.
We are a Belgian couple and this is our first year on our new farm in the beautiful Alentejo region, 15mins from the beach. It’s just the 2 of us but a lot of animals already.
We are planning to start a commercial organic mixed orchard or ‘food forest’. But this will take us 1 more year before we can start planting the trees. For now we could really use some help setting up our garden and animal systems. We are already 80% self sufficient in veggies, eggs and meat. With your help we believe we can increase this further.
We start the day doing the daily chores; feeding/moving animals & vegetable garden. After this is we start working on whatever project we have going on. Often we have several and you can choose whatever interests you most. If you want to know what we are working on the period you want to come, just ask.
In summer when its hot expect to start very early. In winter when its raining expect to get wet 🙂
We have a second building with a basic but fully stocked kitchen and bathroom for volunteers. Sometimes you will be asked to cook for yourselves with the food we provide. The meals can be 100% vegetarian, but omnivores can get meat from our own animals once or twice a week. We have a big tent or caravan for you to stay in.
I can pick you up at the bus station in Cercal or train station in Funcheira.
Volunteer in Portugal & What to bring
- Decent footwear for working is a must for safety
- You should bring: a pair of (safety) shoes. sunhat, (head) light, sleeping bag and sunscreen
- We have tents so no need to bring one. But you can if you rather bring your own. Rubber boots are always nice in winter.
For now we could really use some help setting up our garden and animal systems. We are already 80% self sufficient in veggies, eggs and meat. With your help we believe we can increase this further.
We recommend that you have your own travel insurance cover. If you have any questions feel free to contact us.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Visit France – Be a Part of the Restoration of a French Chateau
- Farm Hand and Hostel Work Stay in Ireland
- Join our Hostel in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina as a Volunteer
- Help around our Hostel in Northern Ireland
- Experience Off-Grid Living & Druidism in Ireland
- Be a Care Assistant with us (France)
- Glamping Site Construction Helping France
- Work Accommodation Food France
- Kazan Hostel Volunteering Russia
- Volunteer in Russia as a Camp Leader
If you’re going overseas, always ensure you get the right insurance cover to Live Abroad.
Easy Exchanges in Portugal
- Help Building a Earthship House in Vale Da Terra (Portugal)
- Join our Guest House Team as a Volunteer (Portugal)
- Join Our Eco Hostel as a Volunteer (Portugal)
- Arts Management, Refurbishing & Gardening Internship (Portugal)
- Experience Ericeira Surfing as a Hostel Volunteer (Portugal)
- Help with our Guests & Enjoy the Alentejo Coast (Portugal)
- Help Building, Renovating & Gardening (Portugal)
- Volunteer on a Organic Farm (Portugal)
- Come & Join us at our Lisbon Hostel (Portugal)
- Faro Hostel Work Stay Exchange (Portugal)
SafetyWing is the world’s first insurance made for nomads, by nomads. Get global travel medical for $37 per a month. Get Insured >>
Posts by us
- What I’ve learned from 10 years of Help Exchange Volunteering
- My experience of Volunteering in Spain with a Spanish family
- Guide to living and volunteering in Nepal
- Everything you need to know about Volunteering in Kenya from someone who’s been there and done that!
- Your Complete Guide to Living and Teaching English in France
- How volunteering abroad can make you a more responsible traveler
- How to escape the rat-race and become a Digital Nomad
- When the downturn came I took a sabbatical in Berlin
- 9 Paid Jobs for Backpackers and their HelpStay alternatives
- Your Complete Guide To Exchanging Work For Accommodation