We (Six Springs Community) are an up-and-coming intentional community, located on the Wheaton Creek Ranch, a 36,000 acre elk hunting and cattle ranch located in Northeastern New Mexico, in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. As the stewards of this natural paradise, sustainability & balance are our guiding principles, fish & wildlife our greatest accomplishment.
Volunteer on a ranch in New Mexico, USA – requirements & tasks
Projects, current and future:
Our main project is the renovation of a 100-year-old farmhouse made of a mix of adobe and stick frames. We are looking for motivated, detail-oriented, hard-working hands to help us see this project to completion. If you have experience with carpentry or construction, we would love to have you!
The home was first built 100 years ago and has had additions added to it in a few iterations over the years. It has been abandoned for a long time so it needs a lot of work.
Thankfully, we have a community member who is heading the project and we’re excited to see some real progress being made! There is still a lot of work and with a couple extra sets of experienced hands to help us, we hope to get this done within a year.
Length of stay and expectations:
We are open to you staying anywhere from a couple of weeks to yearly. We have a high standard of living and running the ranch, so please only apply if you have attention to detail, are self-motivated, are considerate of others, and have the willingness to participate with a generous spirit.
You’ll work a minimum of 25 hours a week. All volunteers are deeply appreciated temporary members of our community that we are happy to host. We encourage those who are in the right place in their lives to consider becoming a longer-term part of our community.
We are looking for community-oriented people from around the globe who are thirsty for the fulfillment of living, working, and playing in a small community with awake, loving people.
Our common goal is to live in harmony and sustainability with each other and the abundant plant and animal life here. Our values include humility, hospitality, honesty, and happiness.
Please reach out if you are interested and/or have any questions!
Volunteer on a ranch in New Mexico, USA – what we offer
We will provide you with accommodation and full board. What can you do in your free time? We pride ourselves on taking care of the land and we want all visitors to be able to experience “the magic”. So we encourage you to explore the ranch and its wild places.
Our property is very rural so you will have ample time and space to wander the property, work on personal projects, and enjoy living the slow life. For groceries and shopping, we are one hour from Las Vegas, NM (not Nevada), 2 hours from Taos, NM, and 2 hours from Santa Fe, NM, where you can get your international city-fix.
More volunteering opportunities in North America
- Volunteer in Missouri, USA and help to restore the native flora.
- Volunteer & be a helping hand on a growing homestead in Maine, USA
- Pet and house sitting opportunity in Los Angeles, California
- Help this bed and breakfast while volunteering in Quebec, Canada
- Help to renovate a house while volunteering in Puerto Rico.
- Build and experience an off-grid homestead while volunteering in Kentucky, USA.
- Help this family as an au pair in California.
- Volunteer at a campsite in Canada for free.
Posts by us
- Guide to volunteering in the United States
- Volunteering in Off Grid Communities: What you need to know before you go
- What is a farmcation and why now is a good time to take one
- What you need to know before you go volunteering on a farm
- How to make the most of a gap year spent volunteering
- How to survive long term volunteering (packing and living tips)
- Why you should get travel insurance when volunteering abroad