Self-Sufficient Living with a Family in Czech Republic
Want to try Self-Sufficient Living with a Family in the Czech Republic? We (Damian and my wife Simona) are part of an extended family, living in 4 houses on the same plot. In our garden we grow our food, and keep 2 horses, 7 sheep, and poultry. We don’t sell anything, just for our own needs and for friends. We brew our beer, and wine, and press our juice.
Hours & Roster: A few hours help a week, we’re flexible
What’s included? Accommodation and all meals included
What’s Not Included? Flights, visa, pocket money, internal transportation & insurance
Self-Sufficient Living with a Family in Czech Republic – Help Required
I grow the vegetables (In raised beds and two fields) and care for the sheep. There are horses here, but they belong to other family members. We are not afraid of making our tools, and have a homemade tractor and a soil trommel. I work 9-5 in a nearby town, so am usually not around during the day (on weekdays), so this time is your own – although if you are happy to work on your own at these times, then I can give you stuff to do. We work in the garden/fields in the evenings/weekends. We ask for a few hours of help, with some of the following related tasks.
- Gardening – In our gardens we have vegetable plots, a greenhouse, and very soon a passively heated/ cooled poly-tunnel.
- Fixing, installing and maintenance.
- Cider & beer making.
- Animal feeding & caring.
- Making organic foods and goods.
Self-Sufficient Living with a Family in Czech Republic – Hours & Roster
- We ask for a few hours help per a day. We are flexible with days off.
- Preferably 2 weeks +.
- Message us about your relevant experience, why you’d like to stay with us, the dates you would be available.
Sleeping: Free accommodation is in a 2-bedroom cottage we have built in the garden.
Linen & Laundry: All linen and towels are supplied. Laundry facilities included also.
Eating: You can either eat with us in the evenings, or cook for yourself (the cottage has a kitchen). Breakfast and lunch you will have to make yourself (we provide food). We are meat eaters, but have no problem cooking vegetarian if you are that way inclined.
Transport: We live in a village with several pubs and shops, there is a small town 3km away, where you can get everything you need. The area isn’t too spoilt (yet) although there are 3 small (international) supermarkets in the local town. On confirmation of your visit, we can supply more details on how best to get to us.
Self-Sufficient Living with a Family in Czech Republic – Amenities & Preferences
- Accommodate 2 volunteer helper.
- We will accept and accommodate males, females, couples, families as volunteers.
- No age preferences, as long as over 18.
- Internet access: We have Wi-Fi in the cottage and can lend you a laptop or computer for use in the cottage if needed.
- We have bikes which you can borrow. Occasionally a car too.
- What’s to see & do: We live in a village with several pubs and shops, there is a small town 3km away, where you can get everything you need. The area isn’t too spoilt (yet) although there are 3 small (international) supermarkets in the local town. We are surrounded by national park, so hiking 5 minutes away from the village. Mushroom foraging 3 minutes away. There is a strong regional identity to this part of the world, which contributes to the strong tradition in folk music / dancing and self-sufficiency.
- Other work: If you are a native English speaker, then we may be able help you to find you a few hours a week of paid work – Teaching English / Looking after Kids. Not for us, but people we know make a living teaching English.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Help with gardening in England as a volunteer.
- Volunteering in North Wales for nature & outdoor-lovers.
- Volunteer in Poland in an organic garden, yoga centre and co-living project.
- Volunteering in Spain for Teenagers in the Summer Time
- Help out at a B&B in Normandy in France
- Volunteer in Serbia Working in our Belgrade Hostel Reception
- Volunteer Building an Eco Village in Austria
- Experience Permaculture Farm Volunteering in Belgium
- Join our Hotel Work Exchange as a Volunteer in Netherlands
- Experience Lapland helping in a French run Tourist Business in Sweden