Become an inspiration for the next generation of kids and adolescents in Ciénaga. Try volunteering in Colombia as a teacher of English, French, music, dance or soccer. Our house is an active social enterprise and we host programs and activities for the local community. Join us in helping participants develop valuable life skills.
Volunteering in Colombia as a teacher – requirements & tasks
El Habitante is a culture house in Ciénaga, Colombia. It is a social enterprise that allows us to organize programs and activities for the local community through our NGO Tiempo de Juego (Time for Play).
We work five days a week with Saturdays and Sundays off. Our volunteers have the opportunity to teach English and/or French, and/or co-instruct dance, soccer and music classes.
In El Habitante we rely on games to promote autonomy and create hope in children, youth and adolescents. By using games as a tool to develop valuable life skills, we want to inspire our participants to be agents for change in their communities.
You’ll help us for about 20 hours a week and you will have two days off.
We’ll discuss specific roles and activities on confirmation of the stay. However, we are open to getting to know your gifts to see how you can bring your unique skills to our project.
Volunteering in Colombia as a teacher – what we offer
Our organization is not able to offer free accommodation to our interns. If you decide to volunteer at Tiempo de Juego we can offer you a discount for your stay in a dorm room (45.000 COP/Night) in our culture house – “El Habitante”.
You can also find other low-price accommodation in the city. We totally understand if you’re not willing to pay for your stay. Unfortunately, our organization depends on that income and we can’t offer any alternatives. Thanks to the volunteers who stay in our hostel we can provide our services to local children and youth for free.
In addition, we offer our volunteers:
– free volunteer cap from the NGO
– discount at a local modern cafe called La Tranca.
More volunteering opportunities in South America
- Farm volunteering opportunity in Uruguay for 30-year-olds & older
- Be a hostel volunteer on a Colombian island in the Caribbean Sea
- Volunteer Teaching English in Chile
- Learn Horse Polo in Argentina
- Enjoy a Hostel Work Exchange in Santiago, Chile
- Do you speak foreign languages? Volunteer in this hotel in Peru.
- Volunteer in Chile in a hotel made out of recycled shipping containers.
- Farm Volunteering & Living in Argentina
- Volunteer in Peru in this centre of wellness & longevity
Posts by us
- Guide to volunteering in South America
- Eight Free Gapyear Placements in South America in 2023 – if you Volunteer
- The volunteering visa guide to backpacking in South America
- Guide to seeing the world for next to nothing as an English teacher
- Combining volunteer work with travel makes for a fulfilling retirement
- Want to travel the world for free? Here’s how I did it for 10 years