In 2000 the volunteers from Germany, Nuremberg heard about the atrocities happening to stray animals and they decided to help out, and started a crowdfunding campaign. Today, there is a 24/7 shelter opened for all stray animals! And you can help to run it!
Volunteer in Moldova with animals – requirements & tasks
Unfortunately, numerous stray animals are walking around the streets of Chisinau, the capital of Moldova.
A group of animal lovers decided to do something to help them. Initially, they collected funds to feed the stray animals on the streets of Chisinau. Volunteers would go out in the streets, feed the dogs, or take care of injured dogs.
Finally, in 2013 with financial help from a small group of animal lovers in Nuremberg, Germany, a piece of land outside of Chisinau was bought and the dilapidated building on it was converted into a humble shelter.
Today, DATCHA is open to stray animals 24/7. Ira Marcu is a dedicated and passionate full-time director. Ira leads the rescue and feeding of stray dogs and cats every day!
In the shelter we need three additional caretakers – that could be you! We will ask you to take shifts to feed the dogs, clean the kennels and care for injured and freshly operated animals. One caretaker is on premise at all times to watch over the animals.
We will ask you to help us for about 40 hours a week.
Volunteer in Moldova with animals – what we offer?
For your work, we will provide you with accommodation. We will discuss the details of living and eating arrangements when you contact us and decide to visit! 🙂
In your free time, you will be able to explore the city of Chisinau and the interesting country of Moldova. It is one of the least visited countries in Europe but it hides so many interesting gems! The country is a producer of amazing wine and it holds the biggest wine cellar in the world! You will enjoy it a lot as long as you like traveling off the beaten path!
More volunteering opportunities in Europe
- Volunteer in a hostel in the Netherlands
- Volunteer in Poland in an organic garden, yoga centre and co-living project.
- Fun and friendly people wanted! Volunteer in a hostel in Ireland.
- Converse in English & discover Malta for free this summer
- Go volunteering with horses in Greece, Skyros island.
Posts by us
- Guide to volunteering – caring for animals
- What is a help exchange and how does it work?
- Finding the perfect going away gift for a work colleague going travelling
- What you need to know before you go volunteering on a farm
- Considering volunteering abroad? Here’s a guide to the visa process
- The Best Digital Nomad Accommodation in Saranda, Albania