We’re new farmers who love to learn and share our experiences. We are originally from California and are creating a sustainable bio-farm. Help us!
Volunteering in Azores – requirements & tasks
Centrally located, Quinta Pereirinha Farms is nestled on a hill in the quaint town of São Roque do Pico in the Azores. We are a California native couple who moved to Pico Island during the pandemic to revitalize a family property and 200 year old farm house. Our passions are animals, gardening, the ocean, we love learning, teaching & sharing Pico Island traditions.
We are hoping to find people who will help by tackling the day-to-day tasks here at the farm for about 20 hours a week. Tasks include:
- Help with landscaping / planting
- Help with animals (i.e. feeding, cleaning, move goat to different pastures)
- Help with handy work around the home & gardens (i.e. small repairs)
- Experienced with special skills welcome but not required (i.e. painting, electrical, carpentry, masonry)
We would like to have open-minded people willing to learn new ways and ideas. We have a few house rules to follow:
- No smoking in the house
- House must be left clean and in same condition as it was at check in.
- Must coordinate a house walk thru with owners prior to helper checkout
- Notify owners of any issues or damages immediately, do not wait as it can be taken care of before becoming a greater issue.
- Be kind, polite and respectful to owners & property and to be self aware
Volunteering in Azores – what we offer
Breathtaking views and nature are literally at your doorstep. Helpers can climb Mount Pico, visit vineyards, enjoy hiking, swimming, trying unique traditional Azorean foods, island hopping, museums & historic sights.
We are more than happy to assist with transportation depending on our availability, there are several taxi services, and public buses.
The farm is 1km from the swimming area and 2km from the center of town “Cais”. Public transportation is close to the house & there is a café on the corner across the street from the home. We provide accommodation, breakfast & lunch.
Other volunteering opportunities in Europe
- Volunteer in Sweden & help caring for cute alpacas
- Volunteer in Lisbon, Portugal & help in a new party hostel.
- General administration and management internship in Antwerp, Belgium
- Help to restore a castle while volunteering in southern France.
- Italy is calling! Volunteer in Milan in a hostel.
- Volunteer in England & restore a Victorian house by the beach.
- Help with farming and taking care of animals while volunteering in Norway.
- Volunteer in Scotland and help build an eco-house & run a scientific business.
Posts by us
- Guide to volunteering in Thailand
- Guide to volunteering in Spain
- Eight free gap-year placements in South America in 2023 – if you volunteer
- Guide to volunteering in the United Kingdom
- The volunteering visa guide to backpacking in South America 2023
- Guide to volunteering – caring for animals
- Combining volunteer work with travel makes for a fulfilling retirement