I am restoring a building originating from the 12th century located at about 600 m altitude near the city of Foix. I like to meet people from different cultural horizons and will be happy to welcome you and introduce you to our local lifestyle.
Volunteering in southern France – tasks & requirements
I need help to restore an ancient small castle/farm of the 12th century in a magnificent and preserved landscape, South of France. You can help me with fixing wood windows (sanding and painting) as well as in the meadows and forest. But there are many other things to do, too.
It can also be housework (cooking, cleaning…), maintenance and repair of motorized tools, construction work, gardening or planting trees. All depends on your skill and wishes.
It would be great if you had experience with at least one of these tasks but in any case, I’ll be happy to teach if you are willing to learn. More important than your experience is your will to help, learn and share.
Specifics are negotiable but I would generally expect 4-6 hours of work 5 days a week. This is an Eco-friendly project, my family and I are vegetarian and it’s a non-smoking house (smoking is possible outside).
Volunteering in southern France – what we offer
There are two rooms for our guests including private ecological dry toilet on the third and second floors. The shower is shared on the second floor. Kitchen and dining room are on the first floor, we will eat outside on the terrace during summer.
Vegetarian breakfast and meals are provided. You are also welcome to cook (vegetarian) with the food provided.
I’ll be happy to teach you French, salsa dancing, or healthy nutrition if you are interested.
There are many beautiful locations to visit including ancient Cathar castles, as well as many activities in the surroundings (lake where you can swim or sail, mountain hiking, gliding, paragliding, rock climbing…).
You can also visit Toulouse (the regional capital of about 500 000 inhabitants, the fourth largest city in France), it is a one-hour drive by car.
Other volunteering opportunities in Europe
- Italy is calling! Volunteer in Milan in a hostel.
- Volunteer in England & restore a Victorian house by the beach.
- Help with farming and taking care of animals while volunteering in Norway.
- Volunteer in Scotland and help build an eco-house & run a scientific business.
- Volunteering on an organic farm in Ireland that has been hosting for over 30 years.
- Volunteer on a farm in Portugal & learn all about syntropic farming.
- Help to care for rescued animals; volunteer in France.
Posts by us
- Combining volunteer work with travel makes for a fulfilling retirement
- Volunteering and its Surprising Health Benefits
- Travelling with a visual disability? Here’s all you need to do (and know) to plan a trip
- Six amazing places in Portugal where you can stay for free – if you lend a hand
- Five amazing places to stay for free in Ireland – if you volunteer
- Volunteer honeymoon in Thailand – a meaningful start to married life
- Considering volunteering in Sri Lanka? Meet Giuliana who can help you do just that