Join me on my journey to build a new sustainable passive ecohouse at Loch Lomond, 20km west of Glasgow.
Volunteer in Scotland – requirements & tasks
Due to delays with materials construction on the new house will not start until 2023. I am project managing the build myself and there is still so much to plan. I also run a scientific business from home, so there is a variety of tasks to share and learn. An organized person or couple is welcome. We discuss the tasks to be achieved, then work through them, and/or work together. There is much to be shared and learnt, both in practical terms, and in project planning for the new house.
So, there is a variety of work including, but not limited to:
- Most immediately planning the move, and moving.
- Completing tasks in the current house, and leaving it ready for the new owners
- Settling into the rental house
- Completing repairs on a small caravan that will be a site hut for the new house
- Most importantly: helping to develop and implement the project plan for the new house build.
- Gaining an understanding of a micro scientific business
An ability to drive would be useful, but not required. You’ll help me for about 30 hours a week with two days fully off.
Volunteer in Scotland – what we offer
In my current home, and the rental home you will have your own private room, with adjacent bathroom. The new build house will include a heat recovery system, solar panels and batteries, and home automation. There will be big focus on sustainability – minimum use of plastic.
What I can offer between November 2022 and July 2023:
- A chance to be involved in the planning of a self-build project from instigation to completion, including budgeting, project planning, material ordering, managing contractors, and building.
- A chance to learn, share, and be involved in lots of tasks, including: Landscaping, Plumbing, Electrical, Furniture-making, Decorating, Interior design and Planting and growing a garden
Programme of work for the new build. I hope the foundation of the new house will be in by the end of 2022, and the building erected March 2023, leaving a bare shell. Contractors will do some of the work but I intend doing a lot myself. The work is about cultural exchange, cooking together, planning and implementing projects. There should be no continuous heavy work.
My current home is on Loch Lomond, the rental house, and the new build are the perfect base for hiking, cycling (there are bikes to borrow), and if I am making a boat trip, hillwalking expedition, maybe motorcycle trips, or seeing live music with friends you are welcome to join. Or there are quiet spaces to read, draw, or think. Fast internet. There are regular trains to Glasgow.
Other volunteering opportunities in Europe
- Volunteering on an organic farm in Ireland that has been hosting for over 30 years.
- Volunteer on a farm in Portugal & learn all about syntropic farming.
- Help to care for rescued animals; volunteer in France.
- Volunteering opportunity in Belgium for artists; join an artistic experiment.
- Do you like fishing? Join this opportunity in France by a lake full of fish.
- Are you over 30? Take care of a historic estate while volunteering in France.
- Volunteer on Gran Canaria & join a welcoming place with an artistic vibe.
Posts by us
- Considering volunteering in Sri Lanka? Meet Giuliana who can help you do just that
- Six backpacker hostels to stay for free in Europe – if you volunteer
- Here’s what it’s like to be a volunteer teacher in Liberia
- Volunteering online is the new volunteering abroad – Here’s how to do it
- Everything a woman travelling solo in Jordan needs to know
- 6 Ways Travelling Can Boost Your Mindfulness
- Here’s why the people you meet abroad will be your friends for life