Volunteer with us on our Colombia Teaching Placement. We’re looking for hardworking, motivated individuals to work as part of our team.
If you have a skill that you can share with our students or staff, we would be very interested in accommodating you as a volunteer.
Tasks & Roles
In this role with the Marina Orth Foundation, volunteers will be responsible for giving English classes in a local community center. Classes will have a variety of English levels and will be divided into different age groups. For example, a class of 6 to 8 year olds, 9 to 12 year olds, 12-15 year olds, 15-18 year olds, and 18+.
The volunteer has the option to choose the duration of each class but between one and two hour classes are recommended. Most classes will take place in the afternoon and evening as children are in school and adults work during the day. This is the second project that the Marina Orth Foundation has undertaken in El Carmen de Viboral.
For the past seven years we have developed our step-by-step project in this town which now currently runs in three different public schools. As such, there are three foundation volunteers working in El Carmen at the moment along with a staff of seven professionals.
The following attributes, experience and skills are preferable but not required:
- Experience working with children.
- Teaching experience.
- English teaching certification (TEFL etc.).
- B1/B2 level of Spanish.
Desired characteristics and personal qualities:
- Ability to work in a team and independently.
- Good communication skills.
- Fluent English speaker.
- Open to new cultural experiences and accepting of cultural differences.
Colombia Teaching Placement Application Process:
- Request application form: Fill in the Application Form and return to us.
- Interview: If your application is of interest, you will be invited to interview. The interviews can take place over Skype for applicants overseas.
- Application acceptance: You will be advised if your application has been successful. Conversations (through email or Skype) with past or current volunteers can be facilitated if you have further questions and you will receive a FAQ document to answer some of your questions about the volunteer experience.
- Acceptance of volunteer position: You will write an email to the foundation to confirm your acceptance. This email will explicitly state the type of volunteer role you are accepting and your anticipated length of stay.
Chosen candidates will be provided with room and board through a host family, as well as receiving a modest monthly stipend. This provides volunteers with a full cultural immersion and the opportunity to improve their Spanish at home.
The host families prepare three meals a day for volunteers. Breakfast and dinner are usually given in the home and lunch is packed to be taken to work.
Volunteers are expected to arrive in Medellín independently. They will be met at the airport or the bus terminal.
Colombia Teaching Placement What else?
- Accommodate up to 6 volunteers at any one time.
- Male and female helpers accepted.
- 21 + age preference.
- Single travellers, two friends, couples are welcomed and accommodated.
- Open to the idea of hosting families.
- Travel insurance required
- Spanish language learning: As a volunteer, you will enjoy a full cultural immersion and the opportunity to improve your Spanish.
- Sightseeing & attractions: Colombia is a truly fantastic country that has so much to see and do.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Surf Hostel Volunteering in Ireland
- Finland Guest House Helping
- Teach English in Italy this Summer with us
- Join Our Centre (Spiritual Courses and Festivals) in Sweden
- Talk English and Enjoy a Free Hotel Stay in Czech Rep
- Be a Restaurant Assistant in Scotland
- Help out at a B&B in Normandy in France
- Volunteer in Russia helping at a Summer Festival
- Come Experience Organic Farming in Germany
- Volunteering in Spain for Teenagers in the Summer Time