ESL Teaching Volunteer Placements Guatemala City. All volunteers are required to speak, read and write at an intermediate level in Spanish. Volunteers must have experience working with children, a desire to live and work in an impoverished urban area and be patient and adaptable to change.
ESL Teaching Volunteer Placements Guatemala City – Quick Checks
Hours & Roster: Depends on postion, see tasks & roles
What’s included? Free accommodation and lunch included. Insurance not included
Selection process: Message us about your relevant experience, why you’d like to help with us & the dates you would be available. Prove to us that you’ve read through our profile & your profile must be complete (description and photo). Please specific which position you’re applying for also
Tasks & Roles
We are currently looking to hire for the following positions:
- ESL TEACHER (grades kindergarten-6th) We are seeking a motivated teacher to start ASAP. The teacher will teach conversational English to two grade levels as well as exploring alternative modes of teaching and creative facilitation. The full-time schedule is from 7:30-3:30 Monday-Friday in accordance with the Guatemalan school system. Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree; speak, read and write fluently in English; speak, read and write at an intermediate level in Spanish; the desire to live and work in an impoverished urban area; patient and adaptable to change. Minimum commitment of 10 months (January 2017-October 2017) -Teaching experience preferred.
- ENGLISH PROGRAM COORDINATOR Qualifications: A highly motivated English Program Coordinator is needed to start January 2017. The coordinator will develop, guide and oversee the daily functions of the program. Responsibilities of the English Program coordinator will include:Managing, observing and reviewing English Program teachers; Classroom support; Curriculum Development; Liaising between English Program staff, UPAVIM CAA school director, parents of students and the Board of the organization; Resource development and maintenance of the resource room; Scheduling; Organizing and facilitating weekly English Program meetings; Organizing and facilitating monthly professional development opportunities; Fostering and maintaining relationships between the UPAVIM school and other Guatemalan schools to develop opportunities for UPAVIM’s students to continue their education; Managing the English Program Budget; sending quarterly reports to the board; Hiring future English teachers. Qualifications:Bachelor of Education (B.Ed); Two years teaching experience; Spoken, written and reading fluency in both English and Spanish; Management experience; Desire to live and work in an impoverished urban area; Patient and adaptable to change; Experience working in a non-profit organization preferred; Experience living abroad is preferred. Commitment of 15 months minimum preferred.
- After School Program Volunteer Overview: UPAVIM seeks a highly motivated after school program volunteer to co-facilitate our after school program with our Guatemalan teacher and team of volunteers. Currently our program services over 60 Children from kindergarten to 6th. Our program works in conjunction with the UPAVIM School and other schools in the area to provide individualized tutoring services and lessons that enhance the public school curriculum of Guatemala. We are currently looking for volunteers to start ASAP!. Responsibilities: Co-teach a class for students five and six years old to introduce pre-reading and pre-math skills; Independently teach three reinforcement classes a day to 1st-6th graders to re-teach and enforce math and language topics learned in school; Develop curriculum and materials for the reinforcement classes in creative and engaging ways; Monitor and evaluate students’ progress and needs and adapt lessons to these needs; Facilitate group and one-on-one tutoring sessions with students who are in need of additional help or are not attending school; Collaborate with the Guatemalan teacher regarding classes, schedule, and students’ needs; Visit and follow up with schools to encourage students who need additional help to attend the after school program; Help plan field trips and extra curricular activities with the kids!Qualifications:Experience working with children of multiple ages, especially elementary school aged; Intermediate Spanish is a must. All classes are given in Spanish; Experience working in an after school program a plus; Ability to work in a multicultural setting; Well organized and able to adapt quickly. Able to commit for 3 months to a year. There may be the possibility of coming for a summer volunteer experience for students.
ESL Teaching Volunteer Placements Guatemala City – Living
Sleeping: Housing is provided on the top floor of UPAVIM, free to volunteers. Volunteers share in community life together and divide up chores among themselves.
Linen & Laundry: All linen and towels are supplied. Laundry facilities included also.
Eating: Lunch on weekdays is provided from UPAVIM’s central kitchen. Bottled water is also provided for volunteers. Depending on dietary needs, food typically costs about $70-100 per month.
Transport: You are responsible for any transportation to and from UPAVIM as well as any additional travel in country. UPAVIM can provide free airport pickup most of the time. There are no daily transportation costs unless you choose to venture out.
ESL Teaching Volunteer Placements Guatemala City – What Else…
Amenities & Preferences
- We can accommodate any age, but most of our volunteers are in their twenties and thirties.
- No gender preference.
- Single travelers or two friends are welcomed and accommodated.
- Volunteers are able to purchase crafts at wholesale prices.
- Free Wi-Fi but it sometimes goes out.
Live Abroad Insurance >>
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Volunteer on a Organic Farm in Portugal
- Full-time Volunteer Required with Dublin Simon Community in Ireland
- Help around our Hostel in Northern Ireland
- Experience Off-Grid Living & Druidism in Ireland
- Be a Care Assistant with us (France)
- Glamping Site Construction Helping France
- Work Accommodation Food France
- Marketing Placement Abroad in Costa Rica
- Costa Rica Beach Hostel Volunteering
- Join our Fighting Poverty 10 month Program in Caribbean & Belize