Assist In Our School Liberia. We’ve previously welcomed a diverse array of volunteers, who have helped us train teachers, teach kids, and make a lasting impact in Liberia. As the locals say, ‘it’s not easy’, but if you come to Duazon, you’ll never really leave.
Assist In Our School Liberia – Quick Checks
Hours & roster: 32.5 hours/week, weekends free
What’s included? Free accommodation, weekday lunches & airport pickup
What’s NOT included? Flights, visa & volunteer travel insurance
Selection process: Message me about your relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer & the dates you would be available
School Liberia – Help Required
Ideally volunteers are independent, self-motivated, like working with kids, culturally sensitive, eager to learn, energetic and want to make a positive impact. Volunteers should contact us to discuss their skill set and how they might best help, but volunteers have a choice of working in the following areas:
- Assisting regular classroom teachers.
- Running after-school programs (sport, art, singing, tutoring).
- Assisting in our school vegetable garden.
- Assisting with general maintenance tasks (painting, grass-cutting, basic carpentry, electrical repairs).
- Computer training with our administrative staff.
Hours & Roster
- Volunteer rosters will depend on your skill set and where we can best place you, but school operates Monday-Friday from 8am-2:30pm. If you opt to run an after-school program, this would obviously happen in the afternoons, but there is a great deal of flexibility to arrange a schedule that both allows you to be fully involved in life at the school, and a chance to explore other aspects of life in Liberia.
Sleeping: Free accommodation available in our guesthouse on campus. Private bedroom with shared bathroom, kitchen and living facilities. Clean, comfortable and secure with running water and power 13 hours a day.
Linen & Laundry: We can help with laundry facilities.
Eating: Free lunches available from the school cafeteria on weekdays, though volunteers are responsible for all other meals. These may be cooked independently, or together with other volunteers staying in the guesthouse. There are also several local ‘spots’ (restaurants) where meals can be purchased relatively cheaply. Travel to larger supermarkets can be arranged with our project staff, though private taxis and motorbike rides are also available.
Transport: Volunteers are responsible for their own flights and airfares, but will be greeted at the airport by project staff who will drive them to our campus. Currently, Brussels Airlines and Royal Air Maroc are the two main carriers on the Liberia route.
School Liberia – Amenities & Preferences
- We welcome singles, couples, and families, but all under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.
- Depending on how you spend your time with us, volunteers can expect to gain experience in teaching, staff coaching/skills transfer or agriculture. You will work with both young children and teenagers, build cross-cultural awareness, and learn to problem-solve on your feet.
- For younger volunteers (particularly under 18s), this is a great chance to build confidence, independence and social awareness.
- Chance to be part of a real Liberian community.
- Walking distance from beaches and lagoon.
- Close proximity to river and dense bush with great wildlife.
- Freely available in guesthouse and school, but limited downloads and speed.
- Within Liberia, many goods and services are available locally, but for trips to Monrovia, transportation can also be arranged in the project vehicle for cost of gas and driver (approximately USD 10 per round trip), or using private shared taxis.
Live Abroad Insurance >>
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Be a Restaurant Assistant in Scotland
- Help out at a B&B in Normandy in France
- Volunteer in Russia helping at a Summer Festival
- Come Experience Organic Farming in Germany
- Volunteering in Spain for Teenagers in the Summer Time
- Volunteer in Serbia Working in our Belgrade Hostel Reception
- Volunteer Building an Eco Village in Austria
- Experience Permaculture Farm Volunteering in Belgium
- Join our Hotel Work Exchange as a Volunteer in Netherlands
- Experience Lapland helping in a French run Tourist Business in Sweden