We’re a transformative escape nestled within the grounds of a desert resort in Jacumba Hot Springs, CA. Just an hour outside of San Diego, it offers experiences ranging from glamping (geodesic dome) and motel rooms, to full RV hook-ups and customized park model homes. Help us run it and enjoy California!
Volunteering in California – requirements & tasks
Lend a helping hand while having great experiences in the desert with hot springs, hiking, wellness and music events. Just an hour outside of San Diego.
The Colony’s desert property is an event location, festival space & wellness destination for a new kind of community just an hour east of San Diego. Nomadic is currently looking for work exchangers for the following tasks:
- helping guests with checking in and checking out,
- breakfast preparation,
- activity helper with hiking/games,
- laundry, taking dirty bedding to the wash,
- drying and setting up the beds for future check-ins,
- cleaning the rooms in the hostel, mobile homes, and motel,
- general cleaning such as sweeping and mopping,
- emptying trash and carrying to trash dump
We will ask you to work for about 20 hours a week.
Volunteering in California – what we offer
We provide you with accommodation in a hostel bunk bed. You will have access to AC and WIFI, as well as communal kitchen with grill, refrigerator, and stove. You will be located just 1 hour from San Diego so it’s a great opportunity to explore.
In the property, we also focus on fostering like-minded community and connection. We host many events, from wellness retreats, yoga and sound healing to music and art festivals. There is also a Fabrication Arts Station on the property, which is an artist oasis and collaborative space for a new kind of community.
Other volunteering opportunities in North America
- Help needed with llamas; Volunteer with animals in Texas, USA.
- Volunteer in Quebec. Help to run a BnB and learn about the process.
- Help with farming and building projects in Canada; volunteer in Quebec.
- Volunteer off grid in Canada. Help run an accommodation business in the north!
- Help at a B&B in Canada and live in a mountain town.
- Learn about fine food making – volunteer in Canada as a baker
- Volunteer on the Caribbean with abandoned animals.
- Volunteer in South Carolina, USA and help an American family around the house.
Posts by us
- Are you too old to travel?
- How to choose the best volunteering abroad option for you
- Meet a great host who’s offering a stay in a nature park in Greece
- Meet our host who’s offering a farm stay in Ireland
- Planning to go to Italy on a help exchange? We interview a great host
- 8 reasons to take a gap year abroad
- Want to make a difference? Volunteer in agriculture
- The me generation? How to engage millennials in volunteering