Help run our Flourishing Business in South Africa. We welcome travelling volunteers to help run our flourishing business. Volunteers learn various skills like making beer, cheese, roasting coffee and Beekeeping. You’ll learn lots and work hard (as we do). In return, we’ll provide your food and accommodation as well as an unforgettable experience.
Help run our Flourishing Business in South Africa – Quick Checks
Hours & roster: 8 hours/day, 1 day a week free
What’s included? Accommodation & meals
What’s NOT included? Flights, visa & volunteer travel insurance
Selection process: Message us about your relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer with us & the dates you would be available
Help run our Flourishing Business in South Africa – Help Required
We have lived here for 14 years now and have a microbrewery, make cheese, roast coffee and have now started keeping bees. We keep goats and cows for milk for the cheese, have sheep, pigs, chickens, horses etc.
The work people would do here depends largely upon the time of year. Should there be a lot of tourists the focus is on serving people in the restaurant and ensuring there is enough stock on hand. Obviously also all the upkeep associated with running the restaurant. In quitter times the focus would be more on stocking up, bottling and labelling beer, roasting coffee, maintenance on the property and garden, working with the animals and their housing etc. We are also setting up a backpackers so it may happen that people run that and help with the general maintenance and upkeep of the backpackers. There are many varied activities and always lots of work.
Hours & Roster
- We work longer hours than most volunteer projects but prefer to give volunteers a day off every week. We work at least 8 hours per day. The intensity of the work will vary depending upon the time of year but in general there is always a lot of work to be done.
- We prefer volunteers to stay for a minimum of 3 weeks.
Sleeping: We provide comfortable accommodation.
Linen & Laundry: Linen provided and there is laundry facilities on site.
Eating: All food is included. We provide as much as possible of the food from our own produce i.e. meat, milk, cheese, vegetables etc. We do however NOT cater for anyone with special dietary requirements such as soya, gluten free products etc. Should you require products of this nature it would be your own expense.
Transport: Volunteers can take a Bus from all the major cities to the nearest town Graaf Reinet. We collect from there.
We are situated in the Sneeuberg Mountains and experience very hot summers and very cold winters. Mid-winter below freezing at night and snow is not uncommon. It is a tourist town populated largely by artists and people wishing to get away from the city. Business is very seasonal with most visitors coming during school holidays, long weekends etc. although there will always be somebody moving through each day. The main tourist attraction is a national monument called the Owl House which is an outsider artwork created by a lady who spent most of her life here. She died almost 40 years ago. A lot of people come to Nieu Bethesda year after year to simply experience its uniqueness and the inspiration it evokes in people when visiting. People will often come for extended stays in pursuit of creative activities such as painting, writing etc. The village is also home to South Africa’s most famous playwright Athol Fugard.
Help run our Flourishing Business in South Africa – Amenities & Preferences
- Age Restriction: from 18 years old and above.
- Must be conversant in English.
- Males, Females or couples are welcome.
- Wi-Fi is available elsewhere.
- About the area: The village has a very small population of permanent inhabitants and as such people should enjoy their own company although there is also plenty of opportunity to socialise and meet new people as there are many tourists moving through all the time. There is plenty opportunity for outdoor activities such as mountain biking, hiking, horse riding etc. The nearest large town is 50kms away where most goods and services are readily available.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Cameroon Volunteering West Africa?
- Zimbabwe Volunteering Community Projects
- Assist in Our School Liberia
- Benin Hostel & Organic Farm Placement
- Go Volunteering Uganda
- Volunteer Sierra Leone
- Volunteer Sudan Africa
- Volunteer Togo Africa
- Morocco Teaching Placement
- Volunteer on a Permaculture Project in Tasmania, Australia