Fancy Cameroon Volunteering West Africa? We need enthusiastic, self- motivated and confident volunteers looking for a life-changing experience. Volunteers will assist in the provision of health care in remote villages, the empowerment of women with disabilities through training in crafts, and the setting up of a sustainable tourism initiative through the construction of a small eco-lodge and waterfall trails.
We are a sustainable development organisation tasked with improving and providing a better quality of life for the villagers, especially women with disabilities and children.
Cameroon Volunteering West Africa – Help Required
1. Health Clinics: As part Cameroon Volunteering West Africa, you will help us in bringing health care to remote villages isolated by bad roads and poverty. Through our mobile health clinics, you will help provide health education programmes in primary care, infectious disease prevention, and mother and child health awareness.Tasks may include:
- Assisting in the preparation of health education materials.
- Sorting medication and medical supplies.
- Assisting healthcare providers during registration.
- Checking vital signs.
- Documenting patient complaints.
- Sitting alongside licensed doctors and professionals to hear and learn about common health issues and the impact of the project.
- Assisting with the delivery of health education programmes.
- Filing referral forms for patients needing treatment at hospitals in the city of Bamenda.
- (For Doctors, Nurses/Midwives, Medical Students) Under the supervision of local attending doctors, assisting in conducting physical examinations, consulting patient’s medical history and making diagnoses.
2. Woman with disabilities: As part Cameroon Volunteering West Africa, you will assist and help women with disabilities through a combination of activism and advocacy, educational programmes and economic opportunities initiatives. You will assist in the delivery of handcraft workshops or you can design your own workshops that teach:
- Sewing, knitting and crochet patterns.
- Embroidery and weaving classes.
- Artisan natural soap making.
3. Nature based tourism: As a volunteer you will assist with the creation of tourism attractions in the village which include waterfall trails, construction of a natural built small eco-lodge and a nature training centre. Tasks may include:
- Teaching environmental protection awareness workshops to the village people.
- Training local village youths as guides.
- Leading and supervising local youths in the trail construction to the waterfalls.
- Making signs and maps to the various waterfalls.
- Designing and construction of a small eco-lodge.
- Setting up a gardening centre.
Hours & Roster
- Volunteers expected to help between 6-8 hours a day or 30-40 hours a week.
- Minimum stay 4 weeks and Maximum stay is 12 weeks.
- Email conversation and application before agreeing stay.
Sleeping: All volunteers stay together in our gated comfortable guesthouse which can host up to 12 volunteers at any time. All except two bedrooms have en-suite toilet and (cold water) shower facilities. There is a furnished living room, dining room, office and kitchen with a gas cooker. There are outside covered and open patios around the building and a garden.
Linen & Laundry: All linen and towels are supplied. There is an outside laundry area to wash and dry clothes.
Eating: Three basic Cameroonian meals are included free as standard. Volunteers may, if they choose, shop for Western food in the big cities and prepare special meals for themselves.
Transport: Your arrival airport is CITY-DOUALA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (DLA). We greet and pick up volunteers from the airport. You will spend your first night at a secured Catholic guesthouse in Douala city and travel the next day to our base in village, which is a 5 hour journey by car.
Cameroon Volunteering West Africa – Amenities & Preferences
- You must be over 18.
- There are No volunteering fees.
- Male and female helpers accepted.
- Have your own travel insurance.
- Single travellers, two friends, couples are welcomed and accommodated.
- There is no internet access available at the guest house. Internet cafés are available in the city of Bamenda which is 17 kilometres away, a twenty minutes taxi ride on paved roads.
- Not Included – Flights, visa, personal expenses and travel health insurance.
Craft lessons: Volunteer can take free lessons in various traditional crafts including carving, basket weaving, drumming, dancing or cooking.
Sightseeing & Activities: The North West Region of Cameroon is rich in culture and visuals. There is lots to see including beautiful scenery, wildlife and splendid waterfalls. You can visit tea plantations and experience the whole process from growing through to processing and marketing. You can chat with friendly locals and learn more about the history of the region and the tribes. You can visit the beaches in the South West or the rainforest in Mamfe.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Animal Sanctuary Volunteering Thailand
- Volunteer Working With A Street Children Charity
- Be a Animal Rescue Volunteer with us in India
- Teach in Cambodia with us
- Be a Yoga Studio Volunteer in Cambodia
- Hostel Palestine Volunteering
- Enjoy a Hostel Work Exchange in Tel-Aviv, Israel
- Experienced Volunteer Builder or Carpenter Needed in Tonga
- Youth Volunteer Assistant on Solomon Islands
- Conservation Volunteering in New Zealand