Fancy Haiti Orphanage Volunteering working with Children with Special Needs? Help implement day-structuring measures in an orphanage for special needs children.
Project Bethlehem Haiti is a newly started project to teach local staff how to engage with special needs children in an educational worthwhile way. You will be the first one to implement day-structuring measures.
By working with the children and teaching the local staff, you will change the life of the children!
Recently, Haiti has undergone some extreme challenges. The 2010 earthquake devastated all walks of Haitian life, but the country would not currently be as stable as it is were it not for the legions of volunteers and aid workers who committed themselves to Haiti’s recovery. That said, there is still much to do to improve a lot of Haitian lives.
All sectors of society are in need of major improvements; Haiti generally ranks towards the bottom of development indicators. Literacy rates are low as is access to electricity, clean water, and hospitals. Infectious disease rates are high as a result. Few countries have both the dire need and the ease of access from North America that Haiti offers for volunteers.
Haiti is currently in process of rebuilding its tourism infrastructure, but due to ongoing instability, it is only the most intrepid travelers and volunteers who get to explore the beautiful beaches, mountains, and rich cultural heritage. Most foreigners only see the country through the lens of their respective volunteer organizations, but even that glimpse can provide one with all the raw materials necessary to catalyze great personal growth and development.
Haiti Orphanage Volunteering– Quick Checks
Hours & Roster: 30 hours/week
Selection process: Message us about your relevant experience, why you’d like to help with us & the dates you would be available. Prove to us that you’ve read through our profile & your profile must be complete (description and photo)
Haiti Orphanage Volunteering – Tasks & Roles
- Babysitting / child care
- Art project
- Coming up with new ideas for day-structuring methods
- Spending time with the children in a pedagogically valuable way
- Organizing fun events for the children
- Working closely with the Haitian staff
Living: Several rooms, each with a private bathroom, are available. Depending on how many volunteers are present, the room needs to be shared or can be used only by one person.
Haiti Orphanage Volunteering – What Else…
Amenities & Preferences
- Closest airport: Toussaint Louverture International Airport (PAP). The International Airport Toussaint Louverture (PAP) is approximately 30 mins – 1 hour (depending on traffic) away.
- A pick-up from the airport can be arranged.
- Own travel insurance is recommended.
The ideal candidate:
- Holding or pursuing a degree in the field of special needs education, teaching, physiotherapy, speech therapy, or any other related field.
- Having a passion for working with children with special needs.
- Being creative and motivated to make a lasting change.
- Team player, open-minded and respectful individual
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Help this hostel during a work exchange in Costa Rica.
- Volunteer in Costa Rica in a hostel in Cloud Forest area.
- Volunteer in Honduras in a hostel on a beautiful island of Roatan.
- Volunteer in Panama. Help create a self sufficient and sustainable island home.
- Volunteer in Guatemala as a bartender in a unique hostel in the jungle
- Mexican Hostel Helping
- English Speakers to Help in our School in Mexico
- Learn Bee Keeping Canada
- Dominican Republic Hostel Volunteering
- Volunteer Canadian Rockies