We’re offering a backpacker hostel work stay in Arica, Chile. We need help in assisting and managing the Sunny Days hostel for international backpackers, serving breakfast, and managing computer reservations.
Arica is a quiet seaside holiday destination on the “gringo trail” from Chile into Peru or Bolivia. It is a crossroads and also the entrance to Parque Nacional Lauca a unique wilderness at over 4,000 masl in the Andes.
Our hostel has 12 rooms, privates with en-suite and shared bathrooms and dorms. We treat our guests like family, share a communal breakfast, talk travels and destinations sharing information tips. We use a computerized property management system to handle reservations.
Local staff works in our hostel to clean and make up rooms but we need volunteers who can speak English and other European languages to help with the management and communicate with guests. Volunteers have their private room with an en-suite bathroom. Eat breakfast with our guests and can cook for themselves or with guests in the 2 guest kitchens.
We offer a food allowance. Mornings are busy afternoons allowing free time. There is good surfing for all levels of experience, beginners to experts.
Backpacker Hostel Work Stay in Arica, Chile – Basic information
- Stay duration: min 2 month(s)
- Minimum Age: 25+
- Places available for: 2 helpers
Backpacker Hostel Work Stay in Arica, Chile – Help Required
- Helping with Tourists
- Help with Computers / internet
- Help in the house
Volunteers need to get up early 6.30 am to receive guests arriving on early morning buses.
Check guests in and enter their registration in our computerized property management system. Prepare and serve a basic cold continental breakfast, cereals, bread jams, tea, coffee, milk yogurt, and fresh fruit.
Talk with guests about their travels, discuss travel options, and organize tours for guests if required. Check out guests and receive payments, Discuss cleaning and room makeup with local staff.
Organize purchase of goods required for future breakfasts and hostel maintenance. Clean up breakfast dishes and utensils. All this usually takes place before 11 or 12 am if the hostel is very busy.
Afternoons are free, although late afternoon or evening there is dry laundry (sheets and towels) to fold and put in storage and the table to set for tomorrow’s breakfast. Also, time on the computer making contact with guest reservations and preparing a list for tomorrow’s arrivals.
- Accommodation: Hostel
- Room type: Double Private
Volunteers have their own private room with en-suite bathroom, shower and matrimonial bed with a house key for 24 hour access.
- Chacalluta International Airport (Aeródromo de Chacalluta Arica) (IATA: ARI, ICAO: SCAR) is an airport serving the city of Arica, capital of the Arica Province in the northern Arica y Parinacota Region of Chile
Both National and International Bus Terminals are a 10-minute walk from the hostel or take a taxi and we will refund the cost of $2,000 pesos. Arica, Chacalluta airport is 30 minutes away on the border with Peru. There is a transfer van “AricaService Tours” for $4,000 pesos a taxi costs $15,000 pesos.
Backpacker Hostel Work Stay in Arica, Chile – What else?
- Own travel insurance recommended.
- Males & Females welcome.
- Couples accommodated.
From October until the end of April, we only need the help of a single person but they need to stay for a minimum of 2 months to learn the system and be able to practice the skills they develop.
In May / June we plan to go overseas, so we are looking for preferably a couple as volunteers to either run the hostel or stay in the hostel with doors closed, their choice.
More Volunteering Opportunities
- Farm volunteering opportunity in Uruguay for 30-year-olds & older.
- Be a hostel volunteer on a Colombian island in the Caribbean Sea
- Volunteer Teaching English in Chile
- Cameroon Volunteering West Africa?
- Learn Horse Polo in Horse Argentina
- Zimbabwe Volunteering Community Projects
- Assist in Our School Liberia
- Benin Hostel & Organic Farm Placement
- Go Volunteering in Uganda
- Help run our Flourishing Business in South Africa
Posts by us
- Guide to volunteering in South America
- The volunteering visa guide to backpacking in South America
- Embarking on an Adventure: The Ins and Outs of Volunteering in Backpacker Hostels
- Eight Free Gapyear Placements in South America – if you Volunteer
- Volunteering and its Surprising Health Benefits
- Hostel Volunteer Guide: How to Volunteer at a Hostel for Free Accommodation